Sunday, December 28, 2008

What Dreams May Come

I had a dream about a former college professor of mine, last night/this morning. Unfortunately, I can't remember many details. We were in what appeared to be a shopping mall but representative of a college cafeteria of sorts. We were talking and walking and seemed to be having a nice time, although I was a little worried someone would see us. I mentioned this to him, and he said he didn't give a damn. After that, I felt somewhat better. My memory on this is very vague (possibly because I took two sleeping pills last night). More of it may come back to me in flashes throughout the day. I really hope so. It would be quite interesting to break it down and try and analyze what it meant, as I do believe wholeheartedly that most dreams do have some kind of meaning behind them, especially the ones you care to remember.

The title of this blog is also a Robin Williams movie. Maybe it's the hopeless romantic in me, but I really liked the film. Even if an afterlife isn't real, it's still a nice thought while you are living. Now that is the optimist in me talking. It could very well be that being a hopeless romantic and an optimist go hand-in-hand. Throw in being masochistic and we really have a good time!

Current movies I've had the pleasure (or lack thereof) of watching: Burn After Reading (My sister's Christmas present to me; I'm glad someone pays attention to things I would like), Hamlet 2, Descent, Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus, Bodies, Rest, & Motion, A Little Trip to Heaven, and Last Tango in Paris. These have been watched over the last month (didn't want anyone to think that I have NO life, although you wouldn't be far off base).

My favorite of these would have to be, of course, Last Tango in Paris. I found myself so helplessly in love with Marlon Brando's character. This could very well be the kind of man I could spend the rest of my life with. Well, at least moments of the rest of my life. Our fears of commitment and fears of nonphysical intimacy are so very, very compatible. Not to mention the fact that although we fear it and run from it, it finds us and then screws us over in a big, big way. It is our own faults, of course, that this happens. We only want more when we cannot have it. We have all the power until we show weakness, and then we are powerless and loving it. We are both confusing to others because of our shifty and dodgy natures. And it is all very sad and very erotic. There is no sex like the sex of desolation.

On a lighter note, Hamlet 2 was funny as hell in parts. Steve Coogan's character was so lovable but not doable. I couldn't sleep with someone that passionate and with such a head-in-the-clouds personality. I just realized how often I think about a man's character in a film, while sizing him up to being someone I either could or could not sleep with. I'm such a dude sometimes! Or maybe I have to objectify them in order to feel connected.

Movie characters I would so sleep with: Jack Nicholson's potrayal of The Joker, Jack Nicholson's character in Terms of Endearment, Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining, Jack Nicholson's character in The Witches of Eastwick, Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear, Colin Firth's character in And When Did You Last See Your Father, Clive Owen in Beyond Borders, and last but definitely not least, Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men. It may appear to you that I need to get laid. I'm not arguing the point.

No comments: